God’s mission is global, but the instrument of his sending is local. Our churches are engaged in an impossible task, save the leadership and power of the Holy Spirit. It is imperative, then, that we prepare ourselves–our churches–for the spiritual battle in which we are engaged for eternal souls:
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak (Ephesians 6:10-20, ESV).
Before we engage in relationships and service and gospel proclamation, we must first–and continually–engage in spiritual battle through prayer.
Before we engage in relationships and service and gospel proclamation, we must first–and continually–engage in spiritual battle through prayer. So, we’ve compiled a list of request you can pray through to get started.
10 Ways to Pray for the Local Church as They Engage in God’s Global Mission
- Give glory, honor, and praise to God in Christ for His sovereign grace in saving you and the members who comprise your local church (Ephesians 2:1-10).
- Thank God specifically for good things He is doing in and through your local church (1 Thessalonians 1:2-3).
- Confess before God areas where your local church needs to grow in God’s grace (1 John 1:9).
- Pray for an increased awareness across your local church of God’s global glory and the nations’ great need (Psalm 96).
- Pray specifically for your senior pastor and other pastors/elders: that God would grip them with His passion for His glory among the nations, and that God would give them Spirit-inspired wisdom to know how best to lead your local church on global mission…and the Spirit-empowered courage to obey (Acts 20:24-32).
- Specifically pray for this same wisdom and courage in one another’s lives as each of you lead the local church for the sake of global mission (Acts 6:5-8, Acts 7:54-60).
- Pray for the mentality of “every member a disciple-maker” to pervade your local church so every brother or sister sees his or her life as a critical part of the accomplishment of the Great Commission regardless of where they live. Pray for a movement of disciple-makers in your church that multiplies the gospel from neighborhoods and workplaces in your city to neighborhoods and workplaces among the nations (Matthew 28:18-20).
- Pray specifically for missionaries you know who have been sent out from your local church to serve Christ around the world. Then pray that God would raise up and send out more/many missionaries from your local church to go to the world’s unreached peoples (Matthew 9:35-38).
- Pray for strategic partnerships with other local churches around the world in global mission. Pray for wisdom in the development and implementation of those partnerships (Romans 1:8-15).
- Pray for the accomplishment of the Great Commission: for disciples to be made, churches to be multiplied and Christ to be magnified in every nation. Pray for the return of Christ, and for faithfulness in your local church to His global mission until He returns (Matthew 24:14, Revelation 7:9-12).