Why Prayer Matters
When it comes to praying for missionaries, IMB President David Platt said there’s one thing to keep in mind.
When we pray, God works.
It isn’t just a rushed or mechanical exercise, he said—”God has ordained our prayer as a means to accomplish His purpose in the world. We’ve got to be aware that our praying for boldness for missionaries is actually going to affect whether or not they have boldness. When we pray, God works.”
He offered some real and powerful ways to pray for missionaries:
- PRAY they would be confident to preach God’s Word—not just to do relief work or learn culture well, but to speak truth with boldness, no matter the circumstances.
- PRAY the gospel would be clear through missionaries’ lives and words and that God would open hearts.
- PRAY missionaries will be at peace with other believers, that Satan would not have success in attacking families, friends and ministry partners.
- PRAY for them to have joy when they suffer, kindness when they are slandered and patience when things are hard. Pray for God to help them persevere—fighting the battle for souls is hard, but it’s worth it.
- PRAY God would give them success in sharing the gospel with others, that they would see disciples made and churches planted.