This year’s Lottie Moon Christmas Offering® planning is simple. Begin by gathering your missions team and a calendar. Then schedule a season long, whole-church mission experience. Follow these steps below.
WATCH THE FEATURED VIDEOS
Catch the vision for your church’s role in global missions. You’ll hear from church members, missionaries and pastors speaking to the part we all have in helping the gospel resound. Share these five videos with your congregation.
PLAN FOR THE WEEK OF PRAYER FOR INTERNATIONAL MISSIONS
Mark your church calendar for Dec. 4-11 to pray for IMB missionaries during the 2016 Week of Prayer. You’ll receive materials to help plan and promote this crucial week.
SET YOUR CHURCH GOAL
Join with your staff and leaders to pray about the amount your church can give to empower missionaries to do God’s work around the world. Be guided by real dollar examples of your giving in the Gifts at Work booklet or consider an amount based on the average cost of supporting a missionary:
- $58,200 a year (average)
- $4,850 a month
- $1,119 a week
- $159 a day
(Reported February 2016. Support includes housing, salary, children’s education, medical expenses, retirement and more.)
Every person in your church has a part to play in helping the gospel resound.
PLAN A MISSIONARY VISIT
Help church members understand the impact of their praying and giving by hearing directly from a missionary. Plan for an in-person visit or video message.
SHARE FROM THE PULPIT
Ignite your church members’ excitement about this year’s giving season and encourage them to pray about how they can join the work. Introduce the offering to your church by showing the videos, announcing the goal, distributing the Gifts at Work booklets.
USE THESE HELPFUL RESOURCES
- Watch David Platt’s sermon created for this year’s Lottie Moon Christmas Offering season.
- Decide what products you will need and order them from the IMB and WMU. Use the International Mission Study with churchwide resources. Order or download additional resources at store.imb.org/LMCO or by calling 1-800-999-3113.
- Lead others in your church toward resources designed for them.
- Student leader – Challenge your students with international mission opportunities.
- Children’s leader – Prepare your children for the Lottie Moon offering season.
- Share fast facts and inspiring messages from the pulpit, during special events, in your church newsletter and bulletin, on Facebook or your website.
- Display visual images that bring international missions to your members. Use these graphics in bulletins, emails or social media.
- Distribute Week of Prayer brochures and offer the accompaning bookmarks to those who will commit to daily prayer. Place your Lottie Moon posters in high-traffic areas and place your offering envelopes in the pew racks.
This is where it all comes together.
Help the gospel resound.
You have … heard about this hope in the message of truth, the gospel that has come to you. It is bearing fruit and growing all over the world, just as it has among you since the day you heard it… COLOSSIANS 1:5-6 (HCSB)
PRAY DURING THE WEEK OF PRAYER FOR INTERNATIONAL MISSIONS
There is great power in prayer. Using the brochure in your Week of Prayer materials (go here if you do not receive them by Nov. 1), each member of your church can pray for specific missionaries sharing the gospel around the world.
GIVE TO THE LOTTIE MOON CHRISTMAS OFFERING
In partnership with you, IMB is able to send your missionaries so the gospel will resound throughout the world. The Lottie Moon Christmas Offering is a vital part of this work–100% of the money collected goes to sending and sustaining missionaries.