Following World War II, Southern Baptists gave generously to render aid to the suffering in Europe and Asia in the cold aftermath of war. Here, “HOPE” parcels from the New Orleans Relief Center, were provided for needy families at First Baptist Church in Vienna, Austria. The relief center began in a four-car garage of a Baptist Rescue Mission in New Orleans in October 1946. By 1950 it had distributed more than 5 million pounds of goods. Germany and China received the largest amount of relief goods, followed by other countries in Europe and Asia affected by war.