The Taliban have seized power in Afghanistan, storming across the nation and capturing all major cities within a matter of days. This political takeover occurred just weeks before the U.S. was set to complete its troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.
In the current crisis, an exodus is building as people by the thousands try to evacuate the country. Tens of thousands of Afghans who may be vulnerable to Taliban retaliation are looking for a chance of escape. One primary group of Afghan refugees are Christians fleeing imminent persecution, as well as other religious minorities, ethnic minorities and women and girls.
Send Relief is working with resettlement agencies to minister to Afghan refugees as they flee political unrest and religious, ethnic and gender-based persecution. We are partnering with these resettlement agencies to determine the most strategic plan to empower local churches to care for Afghan refugees in resettlement communities around the world.
At this time, we are asking those who want to support our response to do so through prayer and giving. You can find updates on the Send Relief website here: https://www.sendrelief.org/projects/afghanistan-crisis/
- Pray for Afghans who are desperately trying to leave Afghanistan.
- Pray that those helping and working hard on this task will be able to overcome obstacles as they facilitate the exits and relocations.
- Pray for physical needs of those waiting at entrances and inside the airport (protection, water, etc).
- Pray for favor and pathways forward to safety and relocation.
- Pray for countries to open their borders and people to open their hearts to those being displaced from their homes.
- Pray for those who will not be relocated.