The International Mission Board is inviting all Southern Baptists to recognize Sunday, Feb. 5, 2023, as George Liele Church Planting, Evangelism, and Missions Sunday.
George Liele Sunday is an annual Southern Baptist Convention event celebrating African American and Black pioneers such as:
- George Liele, who many acknowledge as the first overseas missionary from the United States in 1782.
- Lott Carey, who organized African American missions in the 1800s.
- M. Lockridge, who was a faithful preacher of the gospel in the 20th century.
- Sid Smith, who was one of the first African American Southern Baptist denominational leaders in the modern era.
- Fred Luter, who was elected as the first African American president of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Resources include videos featuring IMB missionaries serving in Brazil, a church bulletin insert, a prayer guide, and an activity sheet for children and families. Materials and more info can be found at imb.org/george-liele/. If you have questions, contact Jason Thomas, IMB’s African American church mobilization strategist at email@example.com.