Terms For Team Supporter
TEAM SUPPORTER TERMS
These Terms apply to Team Supporter’s volunteer service with IMB. The MOU between IMB and Team Supporter consists of the Team Supporter MOU, Schedule A to that MOU, and these Team Supporter Terms. Capitalized terms not otherwise defined in these Team Supporter Terms shall have the meaning given to them in the Team Supporter MOU.
1. Security Conditions and Guidelines.
Team Supporter agrees:
- To be familiar with US State Department Guidelines concerning travel to and living within any country that Team Supporter travels to or works in while carrying out the Team Supporter Assignment. Team Supporter should also register with the Embassy’s Consular Section in any country Team Supporter is traveling to or working in while carrying out the Team Supporter Assignment.
- To refrain from referring to IMB by name in any publication, in a public forum, or to the media without the explicit written consent of Team Supporter’s IMB supervisor.
- To be sensitive to communication security concerns while using all phones, internet, websites, Facebook, etc.
- To ensure that all supporters, family and friends do not send compromising correspondence.
- To ensure that the Team Supporter’s passport and other documents will not include any information that may compromise IMB or its employees.
- To be committed to facilitating inter-team communication by obtaining, loading and using team-specified or approved secure software and using appropriate password settings, including hard drive encryption for any communication concerning IMB and the Team Supporter Assignment.
- To avoid all contact with the media under any circumstances on behalf of IMB and to refer all media requests to the IMB’s Media Spokesperson.
- To not take an outside job (or engage in other activity) that would hinder the gospel, negatively impact the work of IMB, or cause a security risk for IMB personnel.
TEAM SUPPORTER FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND UNDERSTANDS THAT IF TEAM SUPPORTER OR A FAMILY MEMBER IS KIDNAPPED, IMB WILL NOT PAY A RANSOM FEE.
2. Child Protection Policy.
- Team Supporter agrees to comply with IMB’s child protection policy at all times when carrying out the Team Supporter Assignment.
- Team Supporter consents to IMB conducting background screening on Team Supporter that includes a criminal background check, three references and an interview, and Team Supporter agrees to provide all information necessary to conduct this background screening. Team Supporter also agrees to participate in IMB’s child protection training. This screening and training must be completed prior to Team Supporter beginning the Team Supporter Assignment.
3. Volunteer Status.
Team Supporter acknowledges and agrees that Team Supporter is not an employee of IMB, and is therefore not entitled to pay or benefits, nor generally empowered to act as an agent of IMB that could obligate IMB to third parties. Team Supporter acknowledges and agrees that any services Team Supporter provides while fulfilling the Team Supporter Assignment are as a volunteer.
4. Team Supporter Expectations.
Team Supporter agrees:
- To carry out all ministry under this MOU in a way that is consistent with and not contrary to the Baptist Faith and Message of 2000.
- To abide by and be directly accountable to IMB’s lines of authority when carrying out the Team Supporter Assignment
- To abide by the rules and laws of any country in which Team Supporter is serving. This obligation includes paying all taxes owed.
- To abide by IMB’s child protection policy and any other IMB policies and standard operating procedures applicable to Team Supporter’s voluntary service.
- To obtain and cover the expense of insurance, including medical, life, and travel that includes emergency medical evacuation and repatriation, maintain such insurance at all times during this Team Supporter Assignment, and to provide proof of such insurance if requested by IMB.
- To maintain a lifestyle that is consistent with an effective Christian witness.
- To not expect or request from IMB any form of compensation, insurance, or medical coverage in exchange for all services donated under this MOU. (This does not preclude reimbursement for out of pocket expenses authorized in writing by an IMB supervisor). If IMB pays any expenses incurred by the Team Supporter that are not authorized under this MOU, the Team Supporter agrees to promptly reimburse IMB upon request for those expenses. Team Supporter also agrees to cover the cost of repatriation in case of emergency or loss of visa.
- To not sign contracts on behalf of IMB or otherwise act as an agent of IMB that could obligate IMB to third parties.
5. IMB Responsibilities.
- To provide Team Supporter an orientation to the area in which Team Supporter’s assignment is occurring, the work, and the IMB’s policies, strategies, visions, values, core beliefs, and projects.
- To provide Team Supporter with resources to help engage people groups unreached by the gospel in the country of assignment.
- To provide Team Supporter with access, at the discretion of IMB supervision, to meetings and other large group gatherings of IMB personnel that relate to Team Supporter’s ministry assignment.
Team Supporter acknowledges that in preparing for and carrying out this assignment, Team Supporter may learn or receive confidential information from or about IMB, its personnel, and its strategies. Team Supporter agrees that all such information relating to the IMB’s affairs shall be kept confidential by the Team Supporter. In the event of a breach of confidentiality, IMB shall have the authority to take disciplinary action, up to and including termination of this MOU, and to require Team Supporter to remedy any such breach of confidentiality. The obligations set forth in this section shall survive this MOU indefinitely.
7. Team Supporter’s Acceptance of Risks.
Team Supporter acknowledges that IMB has advised Team Supporter of the risks involved in this assignment. Team Supporter further acknowledges that he is aware of the inherent risks to Team Supporter and his family of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ and has fully counted the cost of undertaking this assignment. In addition, Team Supporter has had the opportunity to undertake independent investigation of the risks in the region in which he will be serving, including an opportunity to review any information provided by the US State Department and the Center for Disease Control. Team Supporter has had the opportunity to seek personal legal counsel prior to agreeing to the Team Supporter MOU and these Terms. Being fully aware of the risks he is undertaking, Team Supporter hereby waives on behalf of himself, his family, and his estate, to the full extent permitted by law, any claims arising out of this voluntary service against IMB or its employees. Team Supporter elects to voluntarily assume all risks that are inherent to this assignment. The terms of this section shall survive the termination of this MOU.
8. Governing Law; Dispute Resolution
This Agreement: (a) shall be governed by, construed and enforced according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, without giving effect to Virginia’s conflict of laws provisions.; (b) may not be amended except by writing executed by all Parties; and (c) regarding the subject matter it contains, represents the entire agreement among the Parties and supersedes any oral or written agreement, understanding, representation, discussion or other documentation to the contrary. The exclusive mechanism for resolution of any disputes concerning any aspect of its execution, implementation, interpretation or termination shall be a Biblical process that involves good faith negotiations, and if necessary, Christian conciliation (which may include mediation or arbitration or both) under the rules of the Institute for Christian Conciliation (see http://www.peacemaker.net/rules-of-procedure) conducted in Virginia. Each Party irrevocably waives any right to seek relief of any kind, legal or equitable, in the courts or administrative agencies of any government body, anywhere in the world, except that a Party may seek enforcement of an arbitration decision rendered by the Christian conciliator through the courts of Virginia or any other state where the Parties are doing business or have assets. The terms of this Paragraph shall survive the termination of the Team Supporter MOU.
9. Other Provisions.
The Parties understand and agree that that the provisions of this MOU are severable, and, should any provision be found unenforceable, the other provisions shall remain fully valid and enforceable.
The MOU may be executed in counterparts, and all executed counterparts together shall constitute one agreement. Signatures may be delivered by facsimile or electronic transmission, and each party to this Agreement may rely upon a facsimile or electronically-delivered signature as if it were an original.
For purposes of the MOU, whenever the context requires:
- the singular number shall include the plural, and vice versa;
- the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter genders, the feminine gender shall include the masculine and neuter genders, the neuter gender shall include the masculine and feminine genders; and
- the words include and including, and variations thereof, shall not be deemed to be terms of limitation, but rather shall be deemed to be followed by the words without limitation.